Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Christmas Card

This was a "For the hell of it" one shot :) Merry Christmas! OH and I changed my twitter name...it is now @RawrrJackson90

The Christmas Card
It was something that I felt I had to do, an obligation if you will. There were millions of men and women in the world who were sacrificing their lives every day so that someone like me could have freedom. My friend Alice Cullen told me about Operation Christmas Card that her father's church holds every year around Christmas time. The whole congregation collaborates to write letters to troops overseas.
Now, I am far away from someone who attends church regularly, but I felt like I needed to do this.
Alice's father, Carlisle was the pastor at the local church here in Forks, but he wasn't your typical pastor. He was carefree, lighthearted and the one time I had attended church with Ali (because she wouldn't stop insisting) he had made at least five jokes during mass.
I had grown up with my freehearted mother, Renee, who never really made me do anything I didn't want to do in my life. This included Church. My dad had been MIA since the day after I was born. As far as I was concerned, he was dead.
So here I was sitting at my desk in my room looking out the window watching the snow fall, with an empty piece of paper and a pen sitting in front of me. I had no idea what to say. I mean how do you express your gratitude to someone you didn't now?
It must have been another hour of sitting here staring at the blank paper when I decided I should call Alice to see what she had to say about it.
"Hello Miss Bella, what's up?" She said before I had the chance to say it was me.
I laughed, "Nothing, just sitting here with a piece of paper in front of me. Alice what am I supposed to say to someone who I don't know?"
She sighed through the phone, "Just say whatever you want to say. You are putting too much pressure on yourself. The people overseas are going to be thankful and happy for your letter no matter what you say in it. Just speak from your heart."
Alice told me about the rest of her day, which included Jasper, as always. Her brother Emmett and his girlfriend Rose were coming over later tonight. "Bella, you should totally come over, it'll be fun."
"Ali, that is what you said last time, I just don't want to feel like the third wheel again."
Alice groaned, "Bella, you will find someone, I promise. But you won't have any luck if you just sit at home every night."
"I am a senior in college, I have not dated someone since my freshman year, and I think all hope is lost. And I do to get out!" I argued. But, I knew the truth. I was a homebody. I stayed in for fear of going out and getting hurt. And because of that, my grades were perfect and I would probably end up with a dream job. On the other hand, why would I want to have all of this when I couldn't come home to share it with anyone? I hated the thought that I would come back to my future apartment to only empty space. That I would crawl in bed and look at the other side, only seeing nothingness. I hated it and it scared me to death to think this was how my life was going to be.

"Bella?" I heard Alice say. I was brought back from my thoughts. "Did you hear what I said?" She asked.
She talked more about her Thanksgiving and then we hung up, leaving me with my thoughts and a piece of paper.
Dear Soldier,
I want to start this card off by thanking you for what you are doing for us. I know you probably get many of these cards every year, and hear the same thing repeatedly, so I will try to make it unique. I do have to say something cliché, but it is also something that is very true in my heart. It means so much to me what you and your fellow soldiers are doing. I know we here back in the United States have no idea what it is you are going through and for someone to be so brave and willing to sacrifice everything for us; it is amazing. What is it like where you are? Are you warm? Or are you cold? I am from a small town in Washington and currently freezing!
I am currently on holiday from school. I am a senior at The University of Seattle and I am finishing my last semester. I am excited and anxious to start my life and I have people like you to thank for that opportunity. I hope you find joy in what you are doing and that when Christmas day comes around, you know that there are millions of people here wishing you a "Merry Christmas." Thank you again and I hope you have a wonderful Christmas.
B.
The next thing I did I felt silly doing, but Alice swore that by spraying it with anything that smells good will make it more personal. She made me promise I would do it and so I did with my favorite perfume that I only wore for special occasions. I sat back and re-read what I had just written and when I was satisfied, I folded it up and stuck it into a pre-addressed envelope. I would have to wait until tomorrow to send it, but I couldn't wait. I got into my bed pulling my covers up over my head and I smiled. I had never been so thankful to be in my bed than I was at that moment.
x.x.x
EPOV
I was on a fucking high. And anyone who was out here fighting with me knows how rare that is. We weren't allowed to be happy out here in Iraq. It wasn't like there was anything to be happy about anyways, but we knew better than to get our hopes up. Nevertheless, here I was walking back to camp with a huge fucking smile on my face.
I just got news that my sergeant had granted permission for me to go on leave for four days during Christmas. I hadn't been home or seen any of my family for five months, and it was killing me. The best part? They had no idea.
I got back to my bunk and noticed that most of the other guys had already hit the rack. I pulled on my U.S Army sweatshirt over my uniform shirt and climbed up to my bunk. My eyes immediately fell to an envelope that was situated on my pillow. I racked my brain trying to think whom it would be from. I had already heard from my mom and brother, Jasper and other than them, I didn't really ever get a letter from anyone. I got under my blanket and ripped the letter open, being careful not to mess up the envelope. I took the folded piece of paper out and unfolded it getting a small whiff of a perfume that had obviously been sprayed on the paper. I brought it to my nose and breathed in slowly; it smelled of flowers but not too strongly. It had to be from a girl I thought to myself beginning her letter. I smiled at her questions and immediately felt like answering her. When I finished I had goosebumps adorning my skin. Her letter was so personal yet it was simple enough not overwhelm me. I had received letters from people before, and not that I didn't appreciate the gesture but they mostly said the same generic things. I reread it a few more times and then carefully tucked it in its envelope and stuck it under my pillow. I closed my eyes wishing that the next week would come so that I could get on the plane on December 24th and see my family.
x.x.x
It felt weird not telling my family, especially my mom that I was coming home. I wanted to call her the minute I had found out, but I knew the surprise would be worth it. I had called Jasper to tell him knowing he was the only one in our family that could hold a secret. He even swore he would not tell his girlfriend whom I would be meeting on Christmas Eve. Every year my family holds a huge Christmas party at their house and for the past three years I had been in Iraq, it had included the Cullen's. I was close to Emmett, the oldest son, who was my age, but had never met the daughter, who Jasper was dating.
As my plan landed, I started to get butterflies in my stomach. The man who was sitting next to me had been looking over at me the entire time, and I knew why. But, as soon as we stood up to get our duffel bags from the luggage case above us; he shook my hand thanking me for what I was doing.
"Are you going home to visit with your family son?" He asked me as he helped me pull my luggage down.
I smirked, "Yeah, I got permission a week ago to come home to visit my family. They have no idea that I am coming."
He smiled at my words wishing me a Merry Christmas and another thank you. I got off the plane, followed the signs to where there would be extra cabs, and luckily found one that was empty. I got into the car and looked out the window at my surroundings. It was pitch black out and was almost the same temperature that it was in Iraq, but it was gorgeous here. I always enjoyed my winters in Forks; there was something soothing about it.
I gave the cab driver my address and was thankful that he didn't ask my any questions. I knew that if I started talking I wouldn't be able to stop because of my nervousness.
We pulled into my allotment and my nerves went on overload. I spotted my house from all the way down the street, the lights being so bright. My dad had outdone himself again. There were dozens of cars lined up the street leading to my home.
The cab driver pulled up to my driveway and put the car in park, getting out helping me with my bag.
"Thanks." I said taking the bag from his hands.
"No, thank you. Have a great holiday." He said shutting the trunk door and shaking my hand.
I nodded and watched him pull away.
This was it.
Slinging my bag onto my shoulders, I walked up the long driveway full of cars and got to the front step. I set my bag down and took a deep breath, running my hand through my hair nervously as I heard many voices from behind the piece of wood in front of me.
I reached my hand up and pushed the doorbell. Almost immediately, I heard my mother's familiar footsteps approaching and I sucked in a deep breath as the door slowly opened.
I smiled as my mother's face lit up when she saw me. "Oh, Edward!" She said throwing her arms around my neck bringing me into a tight hug. I couldn't help it as a tear escaped my eyes. It was so good to be home and felt amazing to be hugging my mom. She pulled away, put her hands on either side of my face, and smiled. "This is by far the best Christmas present you could have ever given me." She said hugging me once more.
"Elizabeth, who was at the door?" I heard my father said as he approached the foyer. "Edward!" He said walking over to me smiling and pulling me into a hug. After my dad had came in, everyone started to hear the news that I was home and came into greet me.
"How did this happen?" My mom said wiping at her eyes with her apron.
I told them how I had requested leave and when I found out I had told Jasper. All eyes turned to Jasper at this and he shrugged, "I had to keep it a secret!" He said defending himself.
Everyone laughed and soon they started going back into the kitchen and living room, my mom anxious to get me some food. Jasper introduced me to his girlfriend Alice. Even though she didn't know me, she pulled me into a hug.
The doorbell rang and Alice excused herself to go answer it since it was a friend of hers. She came back shortly after with a girl who was simply gorgeous. She had long brown wavy hair and her eyes were just breathtaking.
She walked over to us next to Alice.
"Edward, this is Bella my friend from college. Bella this is Edward, Jasper's brother. He just surprised everyone by coming home from Iraq. His plane just got in an hour ago." She said in what seemed like one breath.
Bella stuck her hand out and I was welcomed with a scent I recognized; fruity, but not too overpowering.
Chills ran through my body as I remembered the letter I had gotten last week. I took her hand trying to ignore the electricity. "Nice to meet you." I said to her.
After I changed into something more comfortable, ate, and visited more with my family, I seated myself next to Jasper and joined in on the conversation. I kept looking at Bella who was sitting directly in front of me.
Alice interrupted me during my conversation with Jasper about what I had been doing the past five months.
"Edward, what did you say your ranking was?" She asked me with her chin resting in her hand.
I replied to her not needing to think, "Why?" I asked after.
She smiled and her eyes got big. "Well my church always sends letters to military every Christmas, and this year we were told they got sent to that exact rank. Did you get a letter by any chance?"
I looked over at Bella, who had no idea what was about to happen.
Nodding, I replied, "Yeah actually, and just so you know it is the best thing you can do. I got a letter and it made my whole night and kept me going for the next week leading up to my departure home."
"Oh really? Well you would know if you had gotten mine, I signed it with my name." She said sitting back into Jaspers arm. "Whose was yours from?" She asked after a minute of silence.
"I don't know, it just smelled really good and was signed 'B". I said looking at Bella as I said it.
Her eyes got wide and then she smiled, "I signed mine with a B and because Alice made me promise, I sprayed it with my perfume." She got up and walked over to me. "It is actually the one I am wearing now." She said putting her wrist out for me to smell. I breathed it in, already knowing it was her.
I nodded, "Yeah that is what it smelled like." I said looking back up at her.
Keeping her gaze, I droned out the other's voices and stood up. "Want to go take a walk or something?" I asked her.
She nodded and we walked over to the foyer where the coats and shoes were. I slipped mine on quickly and grabbed my coat.
"This is pretty crazy that this is how it worked out to be." She said to me slipping her small hands into her pockets.
I nodded, "Yeah it is."
We walked around my whole neighborhood sharing stories about each other. I was reminded that she was someone that could easily be talked to. Her letter was just like she was in reality and it was a comfort knowing that.
We ended up walking around the neighborhood twice and by the end of our walk, I had taken her hand and she had let me. I felt like I was a teenager again and the feeling in the pit of my stomach reassured me that I would never forget this girl. No matter what happened after this walk or this night.
We got back to my door and I stopped, laughing inside at the feeling of a first date stood before us. I wanted to kiss her but I had just met her hours before
My thoughts were interrupted when she said, "Edward, do you believe in fate?" She asked looking up at me with rosy cheeks.
I smiled, knowing what she was saying. And as stupid as I felt knowing that all of this began because of a letter; I knew that the answer was yes.
Instead of answering her with words, I took her chin in my hands and brought her mouth gently to mine.
She kissed me back and I knew that this was not going to be the end of us. The letter she had written to me had meant more than she will ever know. But it was also the first page in our book.
I broke the kiss and took her in a hug, "Thank you Bella." I said saying the words that had been spoken to me all night.
"Hmm, no thank you Edward."
I took her hand and we went back inside to where our families were waiting.
A/N Ok, yeah it is super sappy, and there is no lemony goodness…but I wanted something cute and Christmas-y! This does have reason behind it and I hope you read this. My cousin served in the Army for two tours in Iraq immediately after 9/11. Anyways, I always liked sending him cards that my whole class would sign and say something on there. His wife says he still has them.

No comments:

Post a Comment