Sunday, September 26, 2010

Forget Me Not's

Bright lights coming at me, the sound of tires screeching and screaming... These are the only three things that I can pull out of my memory before I blacked out from my accident.
I don't know too much more about the accident itself. My type of amnesia prevented me from remembering anything about the accident; and essentially anything associated with that night.
My parents didn't go into too much detail, which I was thankful for, but I didn't know too much. It's hard to "know" something when you can't remember going through it.
However, they did tell me that my accident happened the night of my graduation, and the other two people in the car walked away with just a few cuts and bruises.
My dad was police chief of Forks Washington, which is where I grew up for most of my teenage years. After my accident, my mom came to Forks from Phoenix to stay with us for a few months.
The worst part of this whole situation is not something you would think. It wasn't the "whole" me not being able to remember the accident or the people who were in the car with me, it was the fact that after it happened, the people in the car seemed to be out of my life for forever.
I am now 22 and living in a house in Phoenix, Arizona. About two years after my accident, I got sick and tired of hearing comments people would make about me not being able to remember things. I hated not being able to remember, and I didn't need their bull shit. I already had to relearn the most juvenile tasks. So my friend Alice, who I have known forever and I picked up and moved back to Phoenix with my mom. We rented a house together which was conveniently near my mother in case I ever needed her. Her father, who was a doctor, insisted on helping us out with the payment.
We kept in contact with people from Forks, but when we moved, we tried to leave the past behind us. Alice's brother Emmett visited us a lot. He had just gotten married to our friend Rosalie and we were trying to talk them into moving to Phoenix to live closer by to us.
Alice was recently engaged to Jasper, who had been dating since the first day of high school. It wasn't too long after we moved that he ended up in Phoenix with us.
Today, I had to work one of the shittiest shifts at the bookstore, and when the clock struck 4:00 I basically ran to my car as quick as I could to avoid them having me stay longer. Alice, the lucky bitch, had the day off and she and Jasper were going to spend the day doing God knows what.
"Alice! Jasper? I'm home!" I said as I walked into the house and set my keys in the bowl we kept on the kitchen counter.
I looked around at our apartment and smiled. It looked as though Alice had cleaned up after I left for work this morning.
A door slammed at the end of the hallway to my right, and I heard footsteps walking towards me; Jasper must still be here.
"Well don't you two look cute?" I said sarcastically as they came into view. Alice and Jasper had similar colored shirts on both with a pair of jeans.
Jasper ran a hand through his hair and Alice put a hand on her hip. "Didn't I tell you we were going to get our engagement pictures taken tonight? We wanted night shots. We're leaving in about ten minutes."
"Yea, you did, I was just giving you guys a hard time." I said taking my shoes off.
She waved a hand in the air, "So how was your day?"
I went on about how two boys had come into the store today and basically tore apart the movie section. "I swear Alice; you would have shot them or something." Alice was the one you went to when someone needed to be yelled at. She was one of the cutest and nicest girls you would ever meet, but she had a way of making you feel like you better do what she said.

"Oh God, I can see Sherry's face now at the site of the disaster." Sherry was our boss who didn't have a high tolerance for bull shit.
Alice walked over to the refrigerator and grabbed a bottle of water for herself, handing one to Jasper. "Oh by the way, I hope you don't mind but Rosalie and Emmett are in town for the weekend and are going to come over around 9:00 tonight.
"Want me to make something before they get here?" I asked already getting ideas of what I could make.
"Seriously, you are the best roommate ever." She said grabbing her designer purse and throwing her makeup bag in it.
"I think that since I have to dress up for pictures tonight, I should get a say in what you make." Jasper said mischievously.
I grinned, "Let me guess Jazz, you want me to make my famous apple pie with whipped cream on top?" About a year ago I decided to find something that I could do to keep me busy since I wasn't able to go to college. I was at work when I came across a cool looking cook book, and ever since, I have been baking away.
He nodded "You know me too well, Bella. Emmett will be happy, too."
Our conversation ended shortly after, and I waved bye, as they grabbed their keys and left. While they were gone, I changed into a pair of yoga capri pants and a hoodie, and started on the pie. Luckily, I had some pie crust that was already to go and fifteen minutes later, I had the ingredients cooking and the pie would be ready to bake in about forty five minutes.
I looked at the clock and noticed I had about three hours before Emmett and Rose got here so I cleaned up a bit and then called my mom to check in on some things. It was the same old stuff; she ended the conversation in the same way she always did, "Let me know if you need any help baby, Phil and I are just down the street."
I appreciated the concern. It had been three years since my accident and two years since my recovery. I was basically the same person I was when we had crashed our car minus the parts of my memory pertaining to the accident.
Alice and Jasper came home and immediately Jasper changed out of his clothes and came back with more comfortable clothes. Alice rolled her eyes and went to the kitchen to get things ready for our guests tonight.
Rosalie and Emmett arrived at exactly 9:00 and had brought liquor; they were my new favorite people.
Emmett swept me up in a huge bear hug as he greeted me. I looked around and smiled, these people were basically my family. Renee and Charlie had separated before I had even the slightest chance at having a sibling, so it was nice to have such close friends.
"Yo, little sis, when can we dig into that bad ass smelling apple pie you made?" Emmett asked as he went to the oven and started to open the door.
I ran over to him and slapped his hand away, "You have to wait another half an hour, think you can handle that?" I smiled letting him know I was kidding.
"Fine, then bring on the alcohol!" Emmett said opening the bottle they had brought. Jasper came in to join him so I left, hoping my pie would be safe without me to guard it.
Rosalie had brought her wedding photos with her, and since they had eloped and none of us had seen them that day, the pictures were very exciting.
"I really wish you wouldn't have eloped so that I could have helped out with the wedding, or the reception part! You know how much I love planning parties." Alice said with a saddened look on her face.
"I know, but honestly, both of our families are so big, it would have been a fucking disaster." She said turning the page of her photo album. "When are you two getting hitched?" Rosalie asked Alice.
She looked at me and then looked at Rosalie. "Well, I want to get married soon, but we don't know when or even where. Half of our families are from Forks. So we don't know if we would bring them here or go there."
I played with the bracelet on my wrist nervously. The day that Alice and Jasper had gotten engaged, she had asked me to be her maid of honor. I would do anything for her, but going back to Forks would be one of the hardest things for me to do.
A year after my accident, I went back to my old pictures that my mom had kept for me and looked through them. Some of the people I recognized, but most I didn't. I seemed to have a lot with Alice and Rosalie and also a bunch with a guy, who my mom said was one of my best friends. But other than people visiting me occasionally, these people had become strangers to me. Going back to Forks was a sure fire way of being reintroduced to faces from my past, but it killed me to not remember every little detail about them I used to have.
Rose and Emmett ended up staying the night, and I must have passed out on the couch in the middle of the night, because I woke up to Emmett carrying me to my bed with Alice trailing behind us.
The next morning I woke up to Alice and her big eyes wide in my face. "Alice what the fuck are you doing? You can't just wake people up like that!" I said shielding my face with my arm.
"I really need to talk to you! I have something exciting to tell you but I can't get excited about it until I know you are ok with it." She said scooting down to the end of my bed.
I sat up propping the pillows up behind me. "Ok, let's hear it."
"Don't freak out right away ok?" She asked waiting for me to answer. When I nodded, she continued. "Last night after you fell asleep, the rest of us started talking. The more we talked the more Jazz and I got excited. Bella, Jasper and I are going to get married next month!"
"Alice! That's fantastic! I mean are you sure you can get everything ready in a month?" I asked knowing how much she enjoyed all of the small details of planning. How could she get everything ready in time?
"Oh I am sure, I promise. My mom is going to help us out with the planning. This leads me to another thing. I know it is a lot to ask of you, but Bella, we are thinking we are going to have it back in Forks and I am hoping that you will still be my maid of honor and stand up next to me at the wedding."
Fuck.
Hoping my face didn't look too shocked; I knew what I had to do. I had to go. "Alice, of course I will! You know how much I love you guys and would do anything for you."
She hugged me and wiped her eyes, "This is all going to be so perfect, Bella, thank you."
So that was that. Three weeks later I was loading up the car with my suitcase for the next week and a half and was headed to Forks.
Everyone was thrilled that I was going to go. When I told Charlie, the line on the phone was dead for awhile as he tried to comprehend what I was saying. He offered for me to stay with him at his house. The house that I grew up in; and I agreed, knowing that it would be a familiar place for me to be.
My mom didn't want me to go at all. She thought that I would get there and everyone would want to talk to me and try to get me to remember everything, but I didn't care. I wanted to be there for Alice and hey, maybe I will get pieces of me back.
The next day I found myself pulling into my father's gravel driveway. He came out of the front door as I put my car into park and helped me drag my things inside. I hadn't seen him since last Christmas, but he and I weren't exactly the hugging types. A simple, "It's good to have you back for a little while Bells" was all we needed.
He left me in my room to unload my bags and I was grateful to have a couple of moments to lie down and relax after the long drive here.
After regrouping, I went downstairs and found that my dad had ordered pizza for us. We sat around his little kitchen table and talked about what we had been up to. I told him about my job, while he went on and on about some fish he had caught that had broke all kinds of records in the town of Forks.
I went to bed early as I was supposed to get up at eight to go with Alice to finish some wedding details. Jasper and his wedding party had an appointment in Seattle to get fitted for tuxes. The wedding was going to be small but amazing as Alice put it. Knowing her, it would be more than amazing.
After our dress appointment was over, we went out to lunch to a place that I had remembered going to with Charlie when I was little. Looking around it looked like nothing, but I was excited to go inside.
The hostess greeted us with a smile and told us we could sit wherever we wanted to. So we chose a booth that was more towards the back. The menu was simple and I ended up ordering a veggie burger that I was suddenly hungry for.
I was about to take another bite out of my burger when I heard what sounded like my name being whispered behind me. I looked around, towards where the voice came from.
I found my eyes locked with a pair of huge brown eyes who I recognized instantly. I couldn't remember her name, but I recognized her from pictures and foggy memories from high school.
"Is it ok if I come over?" She asked quietly.
I nodded, not knowing what was going to happen. She obviously knew me and I was excited to hear what she had to say.
"I don't know if you remember me or what you remember at all, but I'm Angela. You and I used to go to school together."
I finally had a name to put with the face, "No, I remember you actually; I just had a hard time remembering your name! It's good to see you again!" I said giving her a reassuring smile.
A huge smile spread across her face and she pulled me into an all too familiar hug. Pulling away, she wiped a tear from her eye. "So what are you in town for? I haven't seen you since you and Alice moved a year ago! How have you been?"
Alice spoke up, "I'm getting married in a few days and with Bella being my maid of honor, she had no choice but to come!"
I smiled, "Yea, I guess I had to come back. No, I am glad to be able to come visit Forks again. And I am doing well! Just trying to get by I guess."
We chatted lightly about what we had been up to and she introduced me to her husband, Eric, who she got married to not long after high school graduation. She told me a little bit about what people were up to that I used to hang out with. Rosalie and Alice both chimed in about what they remembered. Jessica, who was meeting Angela and Eric for lunch, had joined in on the conversation and it was amazing how easy this was. Not that I remembered much, but it felt good here; like home.
I heard the bell on the door ding and I glanced nonchalantly to see who had walked in, as if I would know them and looked away quickly to go back to the conversation. However, after I turned back to the conversation, I was shocked that almost the entire room had quieted down and Angela's face had gone a lighter shade then it had been moments ago.
"Fuck, he is good looking." I heard Jessica say, and my gaze went back to get a better look at the man who had just walked in.
He was looking directly at me.
"Bella?" Alice said as she noticed who I was looking at. I blinked, and he was suddenly gone. I scanned the room to see if I could see him, but I came up with nothing.
When I didn't find him I turned towards her, "Sorry. Do you know who that was? I remember bits and pieces of him. I remembered the part of us jumping off of a cliff and then that's about it." I said as I recalled my memory.
"I swear to God, put me down right now!" I screamed at him as he put me on top of his shoulders. It was a rare warm summer day, and he had decided it would be a good day to surprise me by taking me hostage and jumping from the cliff into the lake.
"Oh, quit being such a baby. Besides if I put you down you would only run away and then I would have to prove to you, yet again, that I am faster than you. The whole 'you were trying to get away thing' would be a waste of your time."
"UGH! I really hate you right now!"
He laughed a comforting laugh, "No you don't, besides, I know you better than anyone and by the time I throw you in, you will be having the time of your life."
Whatever, maybe if I just went in the water and got out, his point would be made and we could go home where my warm dry clothes would be.
We got to the cliff and he swung me around in his arms so that he was cradling me. I stifled a smile and wrapped my arms around his neck. "Trust me?" He asked raising his eyebrows at me and flashing his perfect smile.
He already knew the answer, "With my life." He put me down gently and I moved my head towards his and kissed him softly forgetting about how mad I was only seconds ago. I looked over the edge and quickly grabbed his hand. And then we jumped.
"Who is that guy?" I asked needing to know.
Alice put her hand on top of mine, "That was Jacob Black. You and he dated for about a year. I guess your dad was best friends with his, and you had basically grown up together. They forced you guys together every chance they got and you two just decided to go for it.
"Then a certain family moved into town and a lot of things changed for you after that. You and Jacob weren't together for much longer."
I blinked, taking in everything I had just heard. "What were their names? The ones who moved in?
"Bella, you must not remember. Jasper and his family moved into that house." Alice said.
I drew in a sharp intake of breath and leaned back in my seat. "Wait a second, oh my God, I feel so stupid! You did tell me about that."
Rosalie slowly nodded. "I guess we figured that you would put the pieces together yourself. Bella he was the one who was driving that night."
I'm not sure what I was looking for but suddenly my body was acting before my mind had a chance to tell it to not move. I was out the door in seconds, and I had made it just in time as Jacob was getting on to a bright red motorcycle.
"Jacob!" I said as loud as I could.
His head shot up and looked at me through his helmet. He got off slowly and put his helmet on his seat. Getting a better look at him, I agreed with Jessica. He was very good looking. He was tall, handsome and he had a look to him that I couldn't describe. He just looked warm.
I wasn't sure what to do next. I was not mad at him and I knew that I didn't want to yell at him or anything like that. So what the hell was I doing walking towards him?
When I got about four feet in front of him, I stopped and looked at him. He looked down at his feet and shoved his hands in his back pockets. "Look, I am not here to yell at you or anything crazy like that. I just, I don't know wanted to say hi." I said extending my hand, "I'm Bella."
He looked shocked and then he stuck his hand out towards me, "I'm Jacob or Jake whichever you want to call me."
We shook hands and I heard my friends come out of the diner. I mouthed it's ok to them and they walked over to the side of the restaurant where there was a bench against the building.
"Bells, I am so sorry about what I did. I will never be able to forgive myself for that night."
Bells, that is was what Charlie called me. "Please don't, there really is no need. It is over and done with. I just wanted to meet you or try and remember you I guess. My parents won't tell me anything about that night."
He nodded, "Yea, after that night, they just wanted to…"
"Start over, I know" I said finishing his sentence.
He looked up at the same time I did, and we stared at each other for a minute, not saying anything or even moving.
I was the one to break the silence, "Well, I guess I had better get going. I'm here for a wedding, and tomorrow is the big day. I'm not looking forward to it at all."
He laughed, "Yea you never did like attention directed at you."
I shrugged, "True."
"It was good seeing you and knowing you are doing ok. Charlie calls every once and awhile to let us know how you are doing. Hope you have fun tomorrow."
I nodded and stepped forward, "Bye Jake." I said and I surprised myself and him by giving him a hug. I breathed in his scent, and I recognized it.
"Bye Bells."
When I went back into the restaurant, the waitress was leaving our bills and we took them and paid at the front checkout counter.
As we said our goodbyes to Angela, Jessica and Eric Alice invited them to the wedding. We got into our cars and agreed to meet up later on that night to have one last girl's night before the chaos of the wedding. I needed to get away.
Luckily, Charlie wasn't home when I got back and so I had the whole house to myself. I made myself a cup of tea and sat down in the living room looking around. He had old photographs everywhere and I could remember most of them. There was even one of me and Alice with ridiculous looking makeup on in my room. I smiled as I let the picture take me back.
"But you promised!" A voice sang that came from a girl who was propped up on my bed, makeup spread out over a purple bedspread.
"Alice, I don't want you to do my makeup though. I am only going to forget everything you teach me, besides you know I won't wear any of it."
I groaned with annoyance but that didn't seem to stop her. "Plus, when Jasper's brother sees you he is going to fall all the more head over heels in love with you.
I wonder if I had ever met Jaspers brother and I shrugged, I would be meeting him tomorrow so it didn't really matter.
"Ok, so you have everything ready for the rehearsal dinner tomorrow night?" I asked at Alice's childhood house later that night.
She pulled out a piece of paper that resembled a checklist and looked it over, "It seems like I do, but I am sure I will forget something." She said.
I shook my head, "Even if you did, I think you over planned well enough that you will be okay."
Alice groaned, "This is so stressful!"
Rose, who was sitting on the floor painting her toenails spoke up, "Well then you should have eloped like my smart ass did!"
We painted our nails, and frustratingly I let Alice do my makeup. "Just like old times."
I smiled, knowing what she was talking about.
Alice decided we needed to go to bed early so we would all be well rested for tomorrow's wedding rehearsal. I all too willingly agree, as I was anxious and excited to get some peaceful sleep. However, as soon as my eyes shut, I was faced with the reality that an undisturbed slumber wasn't going to happen.
The nightmare started out as a normal dream; although too quickly, the dream turned horrible.
Jake was sitting in the front seat and I was sitting in the back with someone next to me.
"I love you." The man said as he cupped my face gently and kissed me.
"Always." I said as I heard Jacob clear his throat.
"You guys are disgusting, seriously if it weren't for your drunken boyfriend, I would so not be here." Jacob said.
I rolled my eyes, "He isn't even really drunk Jake. If my dad hadn't seen him drink that beer…
Jacob turned around to look at me.
"Believe me, this won't happen again. If you want, we can drop you off at your house and then I can just drive the rest of the way home." said the voice of the man sitting next to me. It was soft. That's when the lights got bright. "Jacob watch out!" I screamed and he turned his head back to the front of the road and swerved his car as his tires squealed.
I felt a protective arm go around me and then I woke up from my own screaming.
I sat straight up in my bed and wiped the sweat from my forehead and looked around searching for a clock. Damn, it's only three in the morning. I grabbed my hair and put it up in a messy pony tail to try and help with the heat wave I was feeling. My sheets were a tangled mess and I struggled to break free from them.
It seemed that I didn't wake Alice or Rosalie up, who had set up their beds on the floor around me. Standing up from my bed, I went to the bathroom and splashed some water on my face.
When I finally cooled down, I went back to my room and by some miracle I fell back to sleep.
When I woke up again six hours later, I found Rosalie still sleeping in the bed next to me and Alice downstairs making eggs and bacon for breakfast. "Well good morning sunshine."
That made me laugh, I was sure I looked just fantastic. "Want some breakfast?" She asked setting down two plates at the table in the kitchen.
"Sure, thanks for making it."
"No problem! I was so excited, I couldn't sleep anymore. I have been up for the past four hours planning, and thinking."
"So are you excited for tonight?" I teased. "I mean you have to be so overwhelmed right now."
She laughed, "Overwhelmed is the statement of the year. I mean, there feels like there is still so much to do. I know it is tomorrow but damn. I cannot believe that I am going to be Mrs. Jasper Whitlock."
She went on for the next twenty minutes about her honeymoon which was going to be in Venice, Italy. She was extremely happy, but on a level from one to ten, I was at a ten with my anxiety. I had no idea what everyone was going to expect of me.
We visited with Alice's family for the remainder of the day, and around two o'clock, we started to get ready since we had to be at the church by 4:00.
After we had our hair and makeup done, we went downstairs to meet up with Jasper and Emmett.
I had settled on a white sundress and a jean cropped jacket to put over it. I found my converse and slipped them on feeling more in my element with them on.
We got to the church, and I listened as the priest described what I was going to do and when I would have to do it. I watched as they did a mock version of the wedding that would take place tomorrow, and I couldn't help but get all teary eyed. I looked at Jasper and Alice and they just fit.
I learned that Jasper's brother wouldn't be at the rehearsal at the church because his flight was late getting in. He was supposedly coming home from visiting his godfather who lived in Ohio. Emmett filled in for him and promised Alice on his life that he would make sure Edward knew what to do.
We took a limo from the church to the hall where the rehearsal dinner was at and when I got in, the place just screamed Alice. It was a cool looking Italian place with vines spread across the ceiling. I smiled; tonight was going to be fun.
We got to our tables, and Alice explained where the bar was. I was in need of something cold and something hard.
"I'll have a rum and coke please." I said sliding the money towards the bartender and taking a sip once he had prepared my drink.
EPOV
Twenty minutes late. Fuck.
Jasper wouldn't really give a shit but I knew I would hear it from Alice. I parked my car and sprinted out into the rain, making sure I heard the beep that signified my Volvo was safe and secure for the night.
When Jasper had asked me to be his best man, I can't say that I was surprised. Aside from being my brother, I considered him to be my best friend. He had been there for me through everything. He was only a year younger than me, but he had always acted like the older one.
He had been there through one of the most difficult parts of my life. He was there when we were in the hospital waiting for answers. He was there when I found out she didn't remember anything about me. He was there when I decided to pack up all of my things and move to Ohio for schooling. And he was there while I tried to put myself back together after doing everything I possibly could to make her remember me.
I reached the door to the hall where the rehearsal dinner would be and straightened my vest that I had put on over my black buttoned down shirt and decided to just get this over with. I knew she would be here, and that is why I almost didn't come here in the first place.
Jasper and I had talked about this almost every night, and after much convincing we both thought it would be a good idea that acting like I didn't know Bella was the best thing for everyone involved. If she was going to remember me, she would have already.
I felt a pull in my stomach, another reminder that she wouldn't know who I was. My hands went to my hair and pulled fistfuls out of anger. This was ridiculous and I am sure I looked like a fucking weirdo standing out here by myself.
So I opened the door and walked in. My eyes scanned for Jasper but I was immediately greeted by Alice who pulled me into a tight hug. "I am so glad you came!" she said into my neck as she hugged me tighter.
I smiled as I saw Jasper walking up towards us. I released Alice and took my brother into a hug. "Hey man, congrats again." I said.
"Thanks, Edward. So how was your flight in?" He asked wrapping his arm around Alice's tiny shoulders.
I told them about the flight and how I almost didn't make it. Then I told them about the traffic, explaining why I was late. Thankfully, Alice seemed to have more on her mind than to contemplate yelling at me.
I was about to ask them what was covered at the rehearsal that I would need to know for tomorrow when I saw her. Alice and Jasper's eyes followed mine as they settled on Bella walking towards the bar. I started towards her when Jasper grabbed my arm to stop me.
"Be careful Edward. Think about what you are going to do before you say anything." He said releasing my arm.
I ran my hand through my hair. "Yea I know Jazz, I'm not stupid."
Not waiting for him to say anything else, I walked over to her. I was close enough to hear what she asked for from the bartender.
"I'll have a rum and coke please." she said sliding the money towards the bartender and taking a sip once he had prepared the drink.
"You know, you have to be careful with those. They will put you on your ass." I said sliding into a seat next to hers.
She looked at me as if she was going to say something to me, and I was amazed at how much she looked the same as she did when we were 19. I watched as her eyes took me in, and then she replied. "Uh, I'll remember that, thanks."
I smiled; her voice was like music to me. I hadn't heard from her at all since I had left and to hear her speak, brought back memories.
"I'm Edward by the way." I said sticking my hand out to shake hers.
Her eyes widened and I felt a glimpse of hope run through my heart, but it was gone when she answered. "Oh! You must be Jasper's brother." She said taking my hand. When she touched me, a feeling of electricity shot through me and she quickly pulled away, obviously feeling it too.
"Yea, that's me. So are you the same Bella that is Alice's bridesmaid?" I asked trying to come up with some sort of conversation to fill the sound of my heart beating a million miles a minute.
She took a sip of her drink and nodded, "Yep, that's me. Do you know any other Bella?" she asked in a sarcastic, yet funny tone. It was so her.
I laughed, signaling the bartender for a beer. "Actually, I did. You remind me a lot about her actually." I said taking a hard pull from my beer.
She looked at me and cocked her head. "Oh my God!" She exclaimed suddenly. "You're the guy from the pictures!" She said setting her drink down and turning full on towards me.
I felt my heart stop but reminded myself to stay calm. There was no way… "You still have pictures of me?"
"Well I mean, my mom said that you and I used to be really close friends awhile ago, before my accident. I hope you don't mind." She said nervously.
Friends I thought. There was nothing much about mine and Bella's relationship that was just purely friendly. We were much more than that. I guess I can see why her mom would tell her that.
Taking a much needed gulp from my beer I replied. "No, I mean I don't mind at all. I'm just surprised that you still have those pictures."
She smiled, "They are all I have left of some people." She set her drink down. "You know, I tried looking for you. I had this feeling like I had to know who you were."
I stopped breathing for a second after that sentence. "You did?" I somehow got out.
"Yea, but I didn't find anything. I figured if it was meant to be, we would have known each other after or something." She said playing with her fingers; a trait that she hadn't lost in her memories.
It killed me she said that. If she had known I had spent every day with her in the hospital…I endured countless hours of her confusion, and the way she would look at me like a stranger. I couldn't handle it anymore and that is when I moved to Ohio.
"Yea, I needed to get out of Forks." I simply said. I looked at her, searching in her eyes for any glimpse of hope of her remembering who I was. I was about to say something when we heard the clinking of a glass coming from across the room.
Alice and Jasper were standing at the front of the room. "We just wanted to thank everyone for coming. It means a lot that you all could be here." Jasper said.
"We would like to especially thank Bella and Edward for being here, we know it was hard to get here and we want to say we love you and appreciate it more than you can imagine." Alice choked out.
I glanced at Bella who wiped a tear from her eye. She mouthed "love you" to Alice and everyone took a sip of their drink after the toast.
That's when I couldn't take it anymore. I hadn't seen Bella say I love you to me in years. I so desperately wanted it to be me. It hurt so deep that I couldn't breathe.
Not bothering to finish my own drink, I excused myself quickly and ran out the door, not even noticing the looks I was getting from mine and Alice's family. I hadn't even noticed it was my own father who had tried to reach out to me to keep me from leaving the room.
Thankfully it had stopped raining and as I ran outside I kicked the stone pillars in the entrance of the place, cursing as the pain shot through my foot and leg. "Fuck!" I said out loud.
"You ok?" I heard her say, and I turned around to see Bella walking towards me with her arms wrapped around her small frame.
I shook my head walking towards her. I stopped a few feet from her. "You don't remember anything about me do you?"
She looked taken aback. "No, I don't and I am sorry about that. Believe me I spent hours looking at your pictures trying to remember, but there is nothing."
"God Damnit Bella! Why am I the only person from your life that you can't remember?" I said shoving my hands in my hair like I always did in frustration.
She shuffled her feet and shook her head and whispered, "I don't know."
"You know, I waited for you." I said, half regretting that I was about to do this, but knew I had to. "I waited for you for four months after our accident."
Her eyes widened, "What do you mean our accident?" She said looking at me with questioning eyes.
"Our accident Bella, it's the reason why you can't remember me." She still looked puzzled. Then it clicked. "No one ever told you did they? No one ever told you that it was me who was in the car with you. It was my fault that Jacob was driving. I was sitting right next to you. We were laughing and talking about our future we were going to have together. I kissed you." I felt the tears starting to form in my eyes and didn't give a damn that I was about to let out three years of frustration.
"Bella, I kissed you and two seconds later we got hit. You were in my arms, and then you weren't. I remember kneeling next to you, oh Bella you were bleeding so badly. When we got to the hospital they weren't sure if you were going to remember anything. When you woke up your mom said you knew some things and when I got the news I drove like a maniac to the hospital. There you were, but it wasn't you. You had no idea who I was, and you never regained any memory of me."
She was crying now, and I hated that it was because of me that she was. She sat down on the ground and put her head in her hands.
I walked over to her and knelt down so we were eye level. "Bella, look at me." I said clearing my own eyes.
She looked up at me and I wiped away a tear, thankful for her not pulling away. "It's you." She said so quietly I could barely hear her.
"What?" I asked her.
"You have been in my dreams for as long as I can remember. I just couldn't place your face. Oh my God." She said as she obviously started to remember something. She looked back up at me. "I don't remember much but oh my God Edward, it's always been you." She said putting her hands down away from her face, as if she was pulling down a wall.
I didn't think as I pulled her slowly to me, nor as I brought her face up to mine and brushed my lips to hers. She relaxed and then pulled away. Smiling, she leaned forward again and kissed me. I was suddenly lost and it felt as though we were back in high school again.
We talked for a little longer then we decided we should get back into the dinner hall. When we did, we faced Jasper and Alice, who had a look of worry written all over their faces. We explained to them what had happened and we went back to the rehearsal dinner.
The rest of the night we all danced and hung out. I couldn't help but notice how much Bella hadn't really changed from her old self which I was thankful for.
By eleven that night, we all decided we would get to bed as it would be an early morning for everyone. I walked Bella to her car and we hugged goodbye... I was excited yet disappointed. I knew things wouldn't go back to normal in one night, but it seemed strange to let her go after everything that had just happened.
I drove home with Jasper since he would be staying with me. Alice was all about the traditional not seeing the bride the morning of the wedding rule.
That night I fell asleep quickly, unlike all of the other nights. I felt like I had just found a piece of me that had been missing for far too long.
BPOV
I woke up the next morning earlier then I needed. With last night's event swimming around in my head, I had gotten next to no sleep. I got a cup of coffee and went to the balcony of the suite Alice had gotten for the bridal party that night and gazed outside as the sun rose.
I sipped my coffee as I tried to figure out what all of this now meant. I sure as hell couldn't just go back to where we left off. I was hoping he was thinking the same thing. Talking to Alice and Rosalie last night on the way home had helped and they agreed.
They shared stories about him and I from high school and I couldn't help but smile at the relationship we once had. I couldn't help but hope we could still be. Maybe not now, but hopefully we could someday.
Alice and Rosalie got up about an hour after I did, and the craziness started.
Alice's mom came in and we helped her get into her dress after our hair and makeup was finished. Before we knew it, we were lining up at the back of the church for the ceremony.
I had butterflies in my stomach as I saw Edward coming into view. He looked so handsome it was hard to contain myself. That man had been mine once and we had shared what was an unquestionably amazing kiss the other night. I blushed at the thought.
"Hey you." He said as he gave me a hug. "You look beautiful Bella."
I blushed even more, "Thanks, you don't look so bad yourself." He smiled and soon it was our turn to walk down the aisle.
The ceremony was beautiful, traditional and very romantic. Alice had planned it perfectly and the way Alice and Jasper looked at each other gave me Goosebumps.
We took pictures after the ceremony and soon it was time for the reception which was at the hotel we had stayed at last night.
Rosalie, Alice and I danced to a few of "our" songs and then a slow one came on. I started to walk off the dance floor when Edward stopped me. "Would you care to dance with me?"
I smiled and nodded, taking his hand. He led me to the middle and I put my hand on his shoulder, and the other in his hand. His hand was on my waist and I shivered at his touch.
"You do know that I may never be able to remember you completely right? The doctors told me that potentially I wouldn't be able to remember anything associated with the accident. I wish that wasn't the case. You have no idea how many nights I have awoken wanting so desperately to know you." I said.
"I know, Bella. But if that's ok with you, I was hoping we could start from the beginning and go slow. I want to get to know you again." Edward said.
This is what I was hoping to hear. "I think that would be amazing but what about Ohio? I thought you lived there now. We would be almost on opposite ends of the country." I said just now realizing the gravity of my words.
"Jasper didn't tell you?" He asked. I shook my head and he continued. "I'm taking his old place when he and Alice move into together after their honeymoon." He said it matter-of-factly, as if this wasn't big news at all.
I beamed….it felt like the biggest smile to ever adorn my face. "That's fantastic Edward!"
"This way you and I can get to know each other and catch up." He said kissing my forehead.
I giggled and got an idea, "You're right, we do have a lot to catch up on." I said stopping my movement. He looked at me funny and I continued. "And I know a good place where we can start." I winked at him as I pulled him off the dance floor with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment